The Berkeley/Cal Identity Task Force’s charge is to develop a name framework for the campus. The task force is to examine the various names used formally or informally to identify the campus and to determine when and how these names should be used moving forward. Names currently used to identify the campus include “University of California, Berkeley,” “UC Berkeley,” “Cal,” “California” and “Berkeley.”
The task force’s tasks are as follows:
- Review available data regarding the brand equity of the various names and marks currently in use.
- Review relevant best practices regarding branding and naming.
- Engage appropriately with relevant stakeholders, including: alumni, current students, faculty and staff, prospective students, donors and sponsors and peer institutions.
- Consider the implications of any changes to the way the campus is identified, including: national and international reputation; community pride and traditions; alumni and donor relations; faculty, staff and student recruitment and retention; licensing and sponsorship agreements; and budget.
- Develop a naming framework for identifying the campus moving forward.
Task Force Membership
|Patrick Holmes, Co-Chair||Executive Director of Communications & Marketing, Communications & Public Affairs|
|Oliver O'Reilly, Co-Chair||Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education|
|Julie Conner||Deputy Campus Counsel, Legal Affairs|
|Cameron Deptula||Undergraduate Student|
|Jay Dillon||Executive Director of Alumni Relations, UDAR|
|Ty-Ron Douglas||Associate Athletics Director, Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, Belonging & Justice|
|Markeisha Everett||Chief Marketing and Communications Officer, Athletics|
|Neil Freese||Creative Director, Communications & Public Affairs|
|Khira Adams Griscavage||Associate Chancellor and Chief of Staff, Chancellor's Immediate Office|
|Diana Harvey||Associate Vice Chancellor, Communications & Public Affairs|
|Eryn Hong||Associate Director of Brand Protection|
|Elisa Diana Huerta||Interim Senior Director, Centers for Equity & Inucational Justice & Community Engagement, Division of Equity & Inclusion|
|Sarah Juckniess||Senior Director of Marking and Communications, Cal Alumni Association|
|Richard Lyons||Chief Innovation and Entrepreneurship Officer|
|Bahar Navab||Assistant Vice Chancellor and Chief of Staff, Division of Student Affairs|
|Bill Pearce||Continuing Professional Faculty, Haas School of Business|
|Jennifer Simon O'Neill||Chief of Staff, Athletics|
|Colleen Rovetti||Executive Director, External Relations and Marketing Communications, UDAR|
|Mary Ann Smart||Vice Chair/Chair, Berkeley Division, Academic Senate|