The SB 179 Committee's charge is to develop implementation plans that align the UC Berkeley campus with the spirit of the Gender Recognition Act (California Senate Bill 179), which went into effect on January 1, 2019. The bill streamlines the process for Californians to apply to change their gender markers, and creates a nonbinary gender category (the letter “x”) on California birth certificates, drivers’ licenses, identity cards, and gender-change court orders. This law provides an opportunity for our campus to update language and policies to be more inclusive of transgender, intersex, and nonbinary members of the Berkeley community.
The committee's tasks are as follows:
- Discuss and establish implementation plans within each of their units, including leading sub-groups in their units.
- Elevate issues and/or make recommendations to Executive Advisory Group regarding broader campus-wide/UC/Federal policy implications that need review.
- Establish a recommended communications plan for socializing the campus to new processes, practices, inclusive culture.
- Reassess changes in place post-implementation
|Creation of SB-179 Working Group: Identification Chancellor Christ creates the SB-179 task force and charged the committee with discussing and establishing an implementation plan.
|SB-179 Education Committee members were given an overview of SB-179 and received a training on gender identity in the workplace.
|Committee Discussions: Inclusion Committee members discuss in detail the impact of SB-179 on departments, staff, and processes. Committee members create action items and next steps.
|Action Items/Next Steps (On-going) Committee members continue to work on action items to identify and update departments, forms, data input mechanisms, registration and point of hire systems.
|Action Items/Next Steps (On-going) Committee members continue to work on action items and identify and update departments, forms, data input mechanisms, registration and point of hire systems.
Executive Advisory Group
- Khira Griscavage, Associate Chancellor and Chief of Staff to the Chancellor
- Marc Fisher, Vice Chancellor, Administration
- Oscar Dubon, Vice Chancellor, Equity & Inclusion
- Steve Sutton, Vice Chancellor of the Student Affairs Division
SB 179 Committee Leadership
- Billy Curtis (Co-Chair) Director, Gender Equity Resource Center, Division of Equity & Inclusion
- Jo Mackness (Co-Chair) Interim Assistant Vice Chancellor for Human Resources
- Tiffany Melendez (Staff) Health Educator, University Health Services
Full Committee Membership
|Amy Barron Chung
|Director of Student Services, Office of the Registrar
|Institutional Research Analyst, Equity and Inclusion
|Associate Director, Academic Personnel
|Ann Marie Richard
|Interim Associate Chief Information Officer and Director, Student Affairs Information Technology
|Assistant Dean Graduate Division
|Associate Director, Cal Housing
|Chief Campus Counsel
|Executive Director, Government and Community Relations
|Senior Director, Strategic Communications
|Facilities Scheduling, Recreational Sports Facility
|Complaint Resolution Officer, Ethics, Risk & Compliance Services
|Academic Personnel Coordinator, Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research
|Administrative Director, University Health Services
|Chief Administrative and Financial Officer, Biological Sciences
|Campus Shared Services- Regional Director for Region Six
|Senior Application Programming Manager, Information Systems Technology
|Staff Co-chair Chancellor's Advisory Committee-LGBTQ, Health Educator University Health Services
|Sergeant, UC Police Department
|Executive Director, Special Projects Office
|Director of Gift Planning Officer, University Development and Alumni Relations
|SIS Functional Director
|Student Co-chair, Chancellor's Advisory Committee-LGBTQ
|Associate Director of Athletics, Performance, Health & Welfare
|Senior Project Analyst - Housing and Dining Services
|Director of Strategy & Operations, AVC Human Resources
|University Registrar, Office of the Registrar