Task Force report now available
The Chancellor's Task Force on Intercollegiate Athletics (IA), formed in July of 2016, has been tasked with reviewing the costs, regulations, and campus impact of IA's various programs, with a view to recommending an appropriate scale and scope for IA's overall structure, including the number of teams and roster sizes. Given the serious constraints on overall campus resources, including a structural deficit in 2015-16 of about $150m, it is imperative that IA be financially stable within the constraint of its fixed debt service obligations. It also must be aligned with Title IX and diversity priorities.
Specifically, the Task Force will endeavor to answer the following questions:
- For each element of IA's program, what are the costs and benefits to campus?
- How do the requirements of Title IX affect our choices about how to reshape the program?
- Given the costs, benefits, and regulatory constraints, what is the appropriate scale and scope for the total program?
- In addition to the scale and scope, are other changes, e.g., organizational or structural, needed to achieve financial stability?
- How much will the campus need to invest on an ongoing basis in order to sustain IA at this new level?
Task Force Membership
|Robert Powell||Professor of Political Science and Chair of the UC Berkeley Academic Senate|
|Robert G. O'Donnell||UC Berkeley Foundation Trustee and Lecturer, Haas School of Business|
Fred and Claire Sauer Professor of Environmental Engineering and Vice Chair of the UC Berkeley Academic Senate
|Lishelle Blakemore||Executive Director, Annual Programs, University Development & Alumni Relations|
|Brad Brian||UC Berkeley Foundation Trustee|
Donald H. and Ruth F. Seiler Professor in Public Accounting, Haas School of Business
|Khira Griscavage||Associate Chancellor|
|Chris Kutz||C.William Maxeiner Distinguished Professor of Law|
|Rich Lyons||Dean, Haas School of Business|
|Caitlin Smith||Former Cal swimmer and Olympian|
Associate Clinical Professor of Psychology and UC Berkeley Foundation Trustee
|Mike Williams||Director, Intercollegiate Athletics|
Staff to the Task Force:
|Nils Gilman||Associate Chancellor|
|David Secor||Chief Financial Officer, Intercollegiate Athletics|